Westmorland Villages

Morland Index

Morland History & Directory


Morland Directories

Morland Parish

Is an extensive and fertile district, abounding with limestone, and bounded by the parishes of Cliburn, Lowther, Shap, Crosby-Ravensworth, Appleby, Kirkby-Thore, and Long Marton. The river Leeth forms its northern and western limit, and on its eastern side it is margined by the Eden. It is intersected by the Lyvennet and another rivulet, and is about 6 miles in length and 3½ in breadth, containing six townships and two chapelries, of which the following forms an enumeration, with the number of inhabitants in 1801, 1811, and 1821, and the estimated annual value of the lands and buildings in 1815:

 

Morland Parish

_________Population________

 

Annual Value £

1801

1811

1821

Persons

persons

Houses

Familis

persons

Bolton

324

365

75

75

445

3,019

Kings Meaburn

178

168

35

38

176

1,955

Morland

273

304

68

78

372

2,066

Newby

253

298

53

63

338

3,291

Sleagill

114

138

31

32

157

1,247

Strickland Great

211

241

42

52

246

1,827

Strickland Little

98

102

20

23

115

790

Thrimby

60

79

10

10

62

1,270

Total

1,511

1,695

334

371

1,911

15,465

* * Each township and chapelry maintains its own poor separately.

MORLAND is a large and well-built village, 7 miles NNE of Shap, and about the same distance W by N of Appleby. Here are two large manufactories, one for the fabrication of coarse linen goods, and the other for tape, thread, and other small wares. The CHURCH is a large ancient pile, dedicated to St. Lawrence, and has a tower, with three good bells. It was given by Ketel, grandson of Ivo de Talebois, to St. Mary’s Abbey, in York, for the support of the cell of monks at Wetheral, but the vicarage has long been in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, and is valued in the king’s books at £11 18s. 1½ d. and was afterwards certified at the clear yearly value of £45. A small Friends’ meeting-house was built here in 1804, and has a burial-ground attached. The FREE SCHOOL is endowed with £16 a year by the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, in lieu of their having (as formerly) to provide the tenants of the manor with wood for the reparation of their houses, &c. They also, after the inclosure of the commons, between 1780 and 1800, gave their allotment of 30 acres for the benefit of the parish, and directed that five-sixths of the rent should go to the schoolmaster, and one-sixth be appropriated for the purpose of repairing the school, foot bridges, &c. The founders have also enjoined the inhabitants to augment the master’s salary with a yearly subscription of £8, so that his annual stipend is now upwards of £30. The numerous Charities belonging to the parish produce upwards of £105 yearly.

BOLTON, a long village, township, and chapelry on the west bank of the Eden, 4 miles NW by W of Appleby. The Chapel of Ease is an old building, dedicated to All Saints. The curacy, of which the land-owners are patrons, and the Rev. Edward Jackson incumbent, was anciently only worth £4 10s. a year, viz. £3 paid by the vicar of Morland, and 30s. arising "from the produce of the chapel-yard, surplice fees, and the tithes of garths, chickens, eggs, ducks, hemp, and flax in the lordship of Bolton." It has been augmented with £1000, of which £800 was obtained from Queen Anne’s bounty, in 1754, 1761, and 1785, and £200 was given by the Countess Dowager Gower. Two estates in Bolton were purchased with £800 of this money, and the rest was laid out in the purchase of the Scar-side estate at Orton. Bolton Free-School has been endowed since 1731 with several benefactions, amounting to £312, yielding a yearly interest of about £14, for which the master teaches 14 free scholars, under the control of eleven trustees. The principal benefactions are as follows: James Hanson, in 1721, 40l.; Elizabeth Hanson, 10l.; Joseph Railton, in 1762, 40l.; William Bowness, in 1762, 50l.; Michael Richardson, D.D. in 1765 and 1784, 100l.; and John Fallowfield, in 1804, 21l. A neat Methodist Chapel was built here in 1818, on land given by William Dent, together with a donation of 30l. When the common lands in this township were enclosed, pursuant to an act of the 48th of George III all the tithes were commuted for, by an allotment of 382A. 3R. 10P. to the Dean and Chapter, the appropriators of the corn and hay tithes; 35A. 3R. to the vicar; and 1A. 3R. 20P. to the perpetual curacy of Bolton. The chapel of ease is about to be re-built, 100l. having been received for that purpose from the Society for building new Churches. In 1816, a cast iron CHAIN BRIDGE was raised across the Eden, within a mile N from the village, at the expense of the land-owners on both sides of the river. It is 30 yards in length, and was originally only supported by strong buttresses at each end; but having given way, about two months after its completion, two massive pillars were raised under it, so that it may now endure for ages. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor, in which is Buley Castle, now a farm-house, but anciently one of the seats of the Bishops of Carlisle, to whose successor it still belongs. Eden Grove is the seat of Richard Tinkler, Esq.

KING’S MEABURN township has a good village, seated on a pleasant eminence, 5 miles W by N of Appleby. The manor was once possessed by the crown, and was called King’s Meaburn to distinguish it from Mauld’s Meaburn. The Earl of Thanet is its present lord, and the tenants pay 10d. fines on the death of lord, and 17d. fines on change of tenant.

NEWBY, or Newby Stones, a village and township, 5 miles N by E of Shap, where there is plenty of limestone, and a seam of coal six inches thick, and 25 yards below the surface: this coal is worked for the use of the lime-kilns, near the hamlet of Towcett. The manor was long held in capite of the king, by the families of Vernon and Nevinson, but now belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. The ancient Hall is occupied by a farmer: the common was enclosed in 1811.

SLEAGILL, a township and village, 7 miles W by S of Appleby, is another manor of the Earl of Lonsdale, crossed by the thin seam of coal mentioned above, and formerly held by a family of its own name. In 1670, William Mawson "gave the tithes of Slegill to the vicarage of Penrith," which, at the enclosure in 1803, received an allotment of 140 acres, in lieu of the corn and hay tithes, and the vicarial tithes of Morland were also commuted for 13 acres.

STRICKLAND (GREAT), a village and township, 6 miles SSE of Penrith. It gave name to the family of Strickland, which continued here many generations, and afterwards removed to Sizergh Hall, as will be seen at a subsequent page. The manor was anciently called Stirkland, and was held of the barons of Kendal by the Stricklands, from whom it passed in the reign of Henry VI to the Fallowfields, whose heiress carried it in marriage to the Dalstons, who sold it to Sir John Lowther, an ancestor of its present lord, the Earl of Lonsdale. In the village, is an ancient Quaker’s Chapel, with a burial ground, now nearly deserted. The school was built in 1790 with money belonging to the township, and is endowed with a small plot of freehold land, purchased with £10, left in 1757 by William Fletcher, and £20 left by William Stephenson, in 1797.

STRICKLAND (LITTLE), a hamlet and township, in the chapelry of Thrimby, nearly 3 miles N of Shap, where a branch of the Crackenthorp family resided for several generations, but the manor now belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. The common was enclosed in 1811.

THRIMBY, a pleasant hamlet and township, 3¼ miles N by W of Shap, was anciently held by a family of its own name, but the Earl of Lonsdale is now lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil, which was purchased by his ancestor, John Viscount Lonsdale. The Chapel of Ease includes within its jurisdiction both this township and that of Little Strickland, and was re-built in 1814, at the expense of the Earl of Lonsdale, and the curate; the farmers leading the materials. The original chapel was quite dilapidated and deserted for many years till 1681, when Thomas Fletcher bequeathed a yearly rent charge of £10, to be paid out of High and Low Sandriggs, and Bryam tenement in Little Strickland, (where the chapel is situated), for the benefit of the curate and schoolmaster, which offices are now filled by the Rev. John Webster. The vicar of Morland is patron of the curacy, which has received four lots of Queen Anne’s bounty, amounting to £800, the two last of which were obtained in 1800 and 1822, and the other were many years ago laid out in the purchase of the Stony-Gill estate, in Crosby Ravensworth, so that only £400 remains at interest. The school adjoins the chapel, and has also been re-built, but has never been augmented since its first endowment.

TOWCETT, a hamlet in Newby township, 3 miles N by E of Shap, where Matthew Betham, gentleman, has an estate, and is working a thin seam of coal.

Directories

Bolton

Kings Meaburn

Morland

Newby

Sleagill

Great Strickland

Little Strickland

Thrimby

BOLTON.

Mounsey Geo. shoemaker &

Parkin George, clogger

 

parish clerk

Parkin Henry, tailor

Castley Thomas, master of the

Pallmer Thomas, vict. Crown

FARMERS.

Free School

Scourfield Henry, grocer,

Thus * are Yeomen.

Dent Thomas, wheelwright &

draper, & ironmonger

Atkinson James

joiner

Stephenson John, wheel-

Atkinson Thomas

Gibson Samuel, butcher

wright & joiner

Atkinson Thomas, High moor

Goodburn Thomas, wheel-

Thompson Jonathan, master of

Buck Richard, Townhead

wright & joiner

the Free School

Buck John

Ion John, grocer & draper

Thompson John, linen and

*Dobson William

Jackson Rev. Edward,

harden manufacturer, flax

*Dobson Thomas

incumbent of Bolton

dresser, and seedsman

Furness John

Jackson Joseph, shoemaker &

Varty John, lime burner

Graham John, Angel hill

clogger

Wilson John, joiner, cabinet

Richardson Thomas,

Mitchell John, corn miller,

maker, & wheelwright

Whitestone

Bolton mill

Wilson Joseph, blacksmith

Robinson Joseph, Mill flatt

Nicholson John, vict. New

Wilson Nathan, bar iron

Scholick Mary

Crown

merchant

Sill Thomas

Nicholson Thomas, grocer

Wilson Jas. dyer, bleacher, and

Smith Wm. Harding

Nicholson Wm. maltster &

smallware manufacturer,

Smith Robert

vict. Malt Shovel

Walk mill

Swainson William

Oglethorpe Saml. cooper

FARMERS.

Thompson Wm. Maining

Parkin Christopher, tailor

Thus * are Yeomen.

 

Simpson Thos. blacksmith

Allonby William, Low hall

STRICKLAND (GT.)

Tinkler Richard, Esq. Eden

Blenkmanship Isaac,

Armstrong John, vict. New Inn

grove

Greengill bank

Bell John, gentleman

FARMERS.

*Brownrigg John, Eddy house

Bowman Thos. blacksmith

Thus * are Yeomen

Bushby John

Brown Jane, grocer

*Allen Thomas

Byers Isaac, New building

Fallowfield Wm. tailor

Barton Thomas, Low Moor

Cannon Matthew, Wakelands

Grayson Thomas, shoemaker

*Bellas Joseph

Coulthard Richard, Woodhead

Hodgson Robert, stonemason

Corry Josiah & John,

Dodd William, Morland hall

Hunter Mrs. Ann

Mansgrove

*Fothergill John

Hunter Matthew, tailor

*Dent John

*Fothergill Thomas

Jackson Joseph, corn miller,

Dixon John, High moor

Howe William, Low field

Strickland mill

*Dixon William

*Huddart John, Morland field

Sanderson John, clogger, Flatt

Dodd James

Kendal John

Stephenson William, vict.

*Gibson Jonathan

*Kendal Matthew, Greengill

Lowther Castle, & basket maker

Heslop Richard, Birbey

Pike

Taylor Edward, wheelwright

Hodgson John, Buley castle

Moses Joseph, Morland hall

and joiner

*Horn William

*Mounsey John

FARMERS.

*Lambert Thomas

*Pearson James, Jack dyke

Marked * are Yeomen.

Robinson John, Bolton lane end

Pearson John, Kempley

Byers John, Dallen bank

*Savage William

*Rumley James, Low field

Byers William

Savage John, Bolton lane end

*Scourfield Robert, High house

*Castley Peter

Savage James, Hanging beck

Simpson Abraham

*Chester John

*Simpson Nathan

*Stephenson Edward

Chester Thomas

Slack William, Laithey

 

Cook John, Hesley

Steele Thomas, Piggates

NEWBY.

*Fallowfield John

Stephenson Hugh

Marked 1 reside at Towcet.

*Fallowfield William

Stephenson John

Bewsher Wm. shoemaker

Hall William

*Swainson William

Bryham Mrs. Margaret, High

Hodgson Richard

*Temple Robert, Cross rigg hall

moor

*Hunter John Archer

*Tinniswood Robert, Brigham

Bushby John, lime burner,

*Hunter Matthew, jun.

brow

Bullthorns

Jackson Joseph, Woodside

Todd Thomas, Bolton hall

Carlton Wm. blacksmith

*Killer Wm. Field head

 

Crosby John, tailor

*Lancaster Edmund

KING’S MEABURN.

Furness Jph. wheelwright and

*Lancaster John

Burrow Mrs. Jane

joiner

Lowis Joseph

Dent Henry, grocer

Hammond Fredk. wheelwright

Mattinson Thomas, Woodhouse

Little John, vict. Black Bull

Hebson Mrs. Sarah

Ridley Edward

Little Christopher, weaver

Jackson Agnes, grocer

*Robinson Anthony

Longmire John, vict. Black

Lough Edw. schoolmaster

*Sanderson Lancelot,Field head

Bull, and blacksmith

Mark John, wheelwright

Stephenson John, Broad In.

Robinson Thomas, corn miller

Sanderson Lancelot, clogger

 

Temple Mrs. Ann

Sarginson Joseph, vict. Blue

STRICKLAND (LITTLE).

FARMERS.

Bell, and blacksmith

Abbott Mr. Joseph

Thus * are Yeomen.

1 Shaw Geo. wheelwright

Atkinson Thomas, wheelwright

*Addison Bowness

Smith John, weaver & linen

Bainbridge Thomas

*Addison John

manufacturer

Heslop John, corn miller,

*Addison Robert

FARMERS.

Thrimby mill

*Airey Elizabeth, Sideway bank

Thus * are Yeomen.

Hodgson John, vict. Greyhound

Blacklow Adam, Wickerfield

Atkinson Thomas, Low house

Inn

*Brogden James

Atkinson Wm. Longlands

Jennings John, weaver

Byers Joseph

1 Betham Matthew

Webster Rev. John, incumbent

Chapelhow William, Worm

Camplin Robert

of Thrimby, and schoolmaster

potts

*Camplin Thomas

Workman Wm. grocer and

Dent Joseph, Humphrey hill

Clark Robt. Gunnerkell

blacksmith

*Dent Thomas

Dent Thomas, Whitestone

FARMERS.

*Eggleston William

Dickinson John

Thus * are Yeomen.

Furness Thomas, Burwains

*Docker John, Howgill

Bainbridge Thomas

*Furness Richard

*Docker William

*Betham John, Sheriff park

Heslop Robert, Sockinber

Hebson Wm. Dedrybanks

Carson William, Blands

Sewell William, Rellandsgate

Jackson Wm. Bedlandsgate

Fothergill George

*Temple Nicholas

Kendall John, sen. Newby end

Hodgson Thomas, Strickland

Thornber Henry, Peaselands

Kendall Thos. Newby end

hall

 

Kendall Matthew, Greengill

Hodgson Thomas

MORLAND.

1 *Kendall Thomas

*Kitching John

Blacklin John, corn miller, Low

Monkhouse Edward, Brownhew

*Mounsey Thos. Sandriggs

hall mill

Monkhouse Joseph, Thorney

Powley John, Moor riggs

Byers Mr. Richard

crofts

Rigg James

Dodd Matthew, English timber

Patterson John, Lane moor

*Rigg Richard

dealer, Bastage cottage

Pooley William

Thompson Wm. Lodge

Forester Joseph, surgeon

*Richardson John

Wilkinson Joseph

Graves Reuben, shoemaker

1 Wharton Thomas

 

Hall William, vict.

*Wilson Robert

THRIMBY.

Blacksmith’s Arms

Winter Richard, Newby hall

Johnson Jane, vict. Punch

Kendal Robert, grocer, draper,

 

Bowl

& spirit merchant

SLEAGILL.

Johnson John, farrier

Kitchen James, gardener

Bolt Wm. vict. Board

FARMERS.

M’Donald Andrew, shoemaker

Farrow John, wheelwright and

Thus * are Yeomen.

Millican John, tailor and draper

joiner

Abbott Christopher

Milner Rev. Wm. Holme, curate

Groves Anne, vict. Cross Keys

Abbott Thomas

of Cliburn

Irving John, grocer & stone

Nicholson Henry, Thrimby

Moor Robert, blacksmith

mason

hall

Moses Christopher, vict. Board

Kirkby Geo. shoemaker

Powley Wm. Grange

Moses Thomas, butcher

Langley Richd. blacksmith

Rumney John

Moses Thos. & Wm., grocers

Parkin Mrs. Ann, Town head

*Webster Robert

History taken from History Directory and Gazetteer of Westmorland - Parson and White 1829


Westmorland Villages

Morland Index

 Return to Top